Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Remaining Faithful

"If we are faithless, he will remain faithful; for he cannot disown himself."
2 Timothy 2:13

At the beginning of each year it has become my practice to ask the Lord for one specific scripture that will be "my scripture" for that year. In the past I have attempted memorizing so many scriptures at once that I have become frustrated and given up. In my discouragement I felt the Lord speaking, "Why don't you just ask me for one and then build on that?" I did. He answered. Why does that surprise me?

2 Timothy 2:13 was the Lord's choice for me for 2009. It reminds me of how often I am so faithless. How often I ask for faith and direction and then without even waiting for the Lord to speak or act I just move right on with my own agenda. You'd think that after nearly 49 years on this earth I would finally "get it".

My God is so faithful! He just keeps doing what He does best--being himself. He can't help it! That's just who he is. That is such a comfort to me. He is not moved by situations or circumstances (whether they be in the government, the economy, the church or in my own little circle of family and friends).

The scripture says, "...for he cannot disown himself." It seems to me that means that if he were to stop being faithful he would cease being who he is---GOD!

Be encouraged, ladies. The faithfulness of our God is more than enough to see us through any and all trials that WILL come our way. (John 16:33)

Bless you!

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Praise God!! I taught the older kids (2) this last Sunday for my first time. I had been working with the younger ones and this is a new level for me. I knew I could do better afterwards but how? The conversation needed to be redirected, the purpose of the lesson is to bring the children into the presence of our Father and teach relationship not a history lesson. I felt I had failed to accomplish this. I was intimidated. Help me Lord to be bold for you!! I will not give up because You do not give up on me! Thank you my Lord God, my Father!! I thank you for my examples to follow in my Church family. Amen.