Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A Truly Wise Person

"A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered." Proverbs 17:27

Some scriptures need very little explanation. I think we have one of those right here. Speaking from a "mid-life" viewpoint, I've learned the hard way that when it comes to words--less is more. Ever stop to think how in a split second we are somehow able to stuff quite a large foot into our relatively small mouth? I've been known to attempt cramming both of mine in at once! After accomplishing such a feat (no pun intended) we then spend the next hour, day, week, month, year, etc...trying to pry those multi-toed wonders back out again.

Sadly, I must admit that oftentimes at the same time I'm about to open my mouth unnecessarily, a faint voice in my ear says, "I really wouldn't say that if I were you". More often than not--I ignore the Holy Spirit get myself into some hot water.

Proverbs 18:4 says, "A person's words can be life-giving water; words of true wisdom are as refreshing as a bubbling brook."

Lord, please forgive my thoughtless chatter. Make my heart desire to speak "life-giving water".

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Amen!! Sometimes I think more said the better, so that the person who I am speaking to can know my heart on something. Only to find that perhaps I should wait until they ask me for my opinion. Did I ever think that before, no. Let God speak to them and I just pray for them ~ my self too ~ perhaps I could listen more.
Great verse to meditate on.