Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day and Night Meditations

"But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night." Psalm 1:2

What a beautiful picture of what devotion to the Lord should be! The word meditate here is hagah which means "to reflect, to moan, to mutter to ponder; to make a quiet sound such as sighing: to meditate or comtemplate something as one repeats the words." Wow! There is no word for all that in our English language!

The Spirit-Filled Life Bible says that in Hebrew thought, to meditate upon the Scriptures is to quietly repeat them in a soft, droning sound, while utterly abandoning outside distractions.

I would dare to say that nothing is more precious to the Lord's ears than to hear His children repeating his words and letting them penetrate their spirit as they speak them. Conversely, I am sure that nothing is more repulsive to the enemy than to hear God's children speaking God's promises and declaring God's faithfulness.

When my kids were little and having trouble making right choices, I would often ask them, "Who loves you more than anything - God or the enemy?" Ofcourse they knew that God loved them. Then I would ask, "So whose side do you want to be on?" That one wasn't too hard either.

Delight in and meditate on his words day and night-- no matter what your situation. Don't wait for the feeling to motivate you, His word changes everything!

So whose side do you want to be on?

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Jus today I was reminded of the old saying "Hold God tighly and everything else loosely". You just never know what is around the corner, we do the best we can with what we have, live, love, laugh, and forgive quickly. I am so grateful for having gone to church this last week because everyone's message had a part in making my week a good one, I can still hear each ones words in my mind, they have been instrumental in my daily walk, thanks everyone for sharing!! I love you!! God Bless!