Monday, February 1, 2010

Where Does My Help Come From?

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

How often do you look up? No, I mean really, "How often do you look up?" If you're like me you spend a lot of time looking around - at your situation and circumstances, a significant amount of time looking down--perhaps because you don't want to connect with others or deal with certain situations, and way too much time looking inward--focusing on your own struggles, disappointments and frustrations.

The Psalmist, in this case many believe it was Hezekiah, knew how to get his perspective adjusted right away. Notice he says, "I lift up my eyes to the hills". This was a willful choice on his part to lift up his eyes. In order to look up at the hills he had to stop looking around and down and in. We can only look one direction at a time. We have to choose where we will look.

As soon as he looked up he realized where his help comes from - "...the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth." If we're looking for help from anywhere else we will likely be disappointed along the way.

Looked up lately?

No comments: