Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Blizzard"

"When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet." Proverbs 31:21

When the "blizzard" hit last week here in New England, I immediately thought of one of my favorite Bible personalities - Mrs. Proverbs 31!

You gotta love that Proverbs 31 Woman! Let's face it. She set the standard that we all try to reach for, right? I must confess that for a good part of my christian life I really didn't care too much for Mrs. 31. To me she was the "Valedictorian of Today's Christian Woman" who seemingly effortlessly aced all the tests one by one, and I --well I was just average me who kept swinging but was always falling short.

I mean, really. I'm no "merchant ship bringing food from afar". The best I can do is a quick BJ's run in the midst of a crazy jam-packed day. I can't say I've had much experience being one who "considers a field and buys it" , although you will likely find me at Kohl's the end of this month considering filling my cart with clearance items for my grandchildren for the coming year. No matter how much I might aspire to move in her circles, I just don't measure up.

Then one day I realized that Mrs. 31 wasn't really who I was supposed to be trying to be. I am supposed to be the best "me" that I can be as I follow my Lord Jesus. Her attributes are a wonderful model for me but they were written down for one purpose - to encourage me to reach for everything that God created me to be in Christ Jesus.

If I had to choose 2 verses out of this chapter that I really want to be true in my life this year, it would be verses 25-26:
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can
laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue."

Okay Mrs. 31. The Lord obviously had your attention and now you have mine. Thank you for taking your relationship with Him so seriously. I wonder if you know how many people have noticed...

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Good point, Lord make me good! Because my by myself I am nothing!! Now just for one day, I would like to know that I am enough! Help me Lord!