Tuesday, June 21, 2011

For This Purpose

"...For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil." 1 John 3:8

One of the most basic pieces of advice you get from a mentor or trusted teacher and friend is this: "When you set out to do something important and life changing, make sure you are totally and completely certain of your purpose." Of course there are many side issues and short and long term advantages with each endeavor but one needs to always have his or her primary purpose in the forefront of their mind. That's what keeps you pushing forward when everything around you says, "Just quit!"

Jesus came. He was born, he lived, and he died. There were many reasons for his coming. He came to show God's unbelievable love for us. He came to seek and save the lost. He came to set the captives free. He came to deliver us from our sin and ourselves. He came to model grace, forgiveness and unselfishness. The reasons go on and on and on......

But what about purpose? Did Jesus have a singular focus--a clearly defined sight on his spiritual radar? You bet He did! 1 John 3:8b puts all the cards on the table. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil!

John 10:10 says, "the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy but I (Jesus) have come that you might have life and have it more abundantly!" Do you see that? Jesus came to oppose and destroy everything that the enemy wants to do in your life and mine. That's it! His main purpose is the destroy the one who is keeping me down. If that is His purpose for me then that should be my desire as well. More than anything I want to cooperate with everything Jesus asks me to do to give Him the freedom to destroy the works of the enemy in my life.

Lord, show me what I need to surrender to you to allow you to destroy any and all work of the devil in my life. I want what you want for me--to walk in freedom, joy and victory!

No comments: