Tuesday, November 8, 2011

His Ways Are Perfect.....

"As for God, his way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true. He is a shield for all who look to him for protection." Psalm 18:30

Psalm 18:30 keeps me grounded. It gives me perspective when mine has gone haywire. It reminds me that my loving God has everything under control even when I am totally out of control.

Notice that it doesn't say God's way is usually a pretty good idea, or that his way almost always makes a lot of sense. No. It says -His way is perfect. Sometimes that's all I need to hear. That phrase is God's way of wrapping up all my why's and how's in a neat package marked "trust me" and lovingly handing them back to me with a smile.

Next it says, "...All the Lord's promises prove true." Although I have long since forgotten most of what I learned in my 3 semesters of Greek in college, I have managed to hang onto this--All means All. When I feel disappointed or disillusioned or betrayed, I need that reminder. All that the Lord has promised me will prove true. Maybe I don't see it yet. But I have his word on that.

Finally then, I get to the shield part. I like that word - shield. Just makes me feel safe. I also like that fact that it doesn't say that the Lord will give me a shield--it says he "is" a shield to all who look to him for protection. If I keep looking to him then that includes me. I need that assurance. I'm not too good at protecting myself. Truth be told, much of the time I don't even realize when I'm in danger and need protection.

Thank you Almighty God for Your ways, Your promises and Your protection.


No comments: