Thursday, September 27, 2012

Parking Your Faith

"Let all that I am wait quietly before God; for my hope is in him."  Psalm 62:5

Get ready.  I'm going to date myself here.  For those of you who are from "my era" as my husband likes to say, I'm sure you probably remember Bob Dylan's song, "You Gotta Serve Somebody".  I'm not quite sure what exit ramp Bob Dylan took after that song but at that particular point in time he was exactly correct.  We have to choose.  As the Existentialist/Philosopher Kierkegaard stated in so many words, you can't choose not to choose because, in essence,you've already made your choice.  For the record, Kierkegaard took a few exit ramps himself but he was spot on with that thought.

I am human.  I am sinful.  I am in need of a Savior.  I need a place to "park my faith and my hope".  I'm certainly not foolish enough to think I can park it in the spot designated "ME".  No, I learned a long time ago that won't work.  This world of materialism and selfishness won't suffice.  Even those dearest to me on this planet can't possibly be the object of my faith and hope.  You know where I'm going with this.  There is only one - The One.

A beautiful old hymn by a dear lady named Eliza Edmunds Hewitt (Lidie H. Edmunds) has been wandering through my mind the last couple of days.

My faith has found a resting place
Not in device or creed;
I trust the ever living One,
His wounds for me shall plead .

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died, 
And that He died for me.

Enough for me that Jesus saves,
This ends my fear and doubt;
A sinful soul I come to Him,
He'll never cast me out.

My heart is leaning on the Word,
The living Word of God,
Salvation by my Savior's Name,
Salvation through His blood

My great Physician heals the sick,
The lost He came to save;
For me His precious blood He shed,
For me His life He gave.

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea,
It is enough that Jesus died,
And that He died for me.


I've found my parking space. :)

No comments: