Tuesday, January 8, 2013

An Anchor For The Soul

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.  It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain."  Hebrews 6:19

I have an affinity for certain words.  By that I mean, I just like the way they sound when you say them.  A few of my favorites are:  blessing, peace, winsome, and fervent.  I don't know--they just sound calming or peaceful or reflective.

One of my all time favorite words is the word "anchor".  Whenever I hear that word, somewhere in the back of my mind I see an old worn and weathered anchor drop from the side of a fishing boat and plunge right straight to the bottom of the ocean.  Anchors are secure, they stay right where they are put.  They don't bend and they aren't moved by the waves or the currents.  A fisherman never says, "Now where did I put that anchor anyway?"  

Anchors don't change with the newest fad or custom, they don't get confused or fearful.  They just are.  When your boat is tied to one--you're all set.  No need to worry.  You aren't going anywhere.

Hebrews 6:19 is the only scripture in the entire Bible that mentions the word anchor in a context other than the traditional use of the word.  By that I mean that this is the only place in the scripture where anchor is used to describe something very precious that we have as believers.  That something is hope--more specifically our hope that is anchored in Jesus.  Stay with me now. . Everyone in Biblical times (and even now for that matter) was pretty  familiar with anchors.  The Apostle Paul knew that the word anchor wouldn't be wasted on anybody.  We all get it!  Don't we?

When the storms come - and they will,  (someone once said either you're just coming out of one or just heading into one) what is the anchor for your soul?  Our wisdom, knowledge, position, money, relationships, won't be the anchor we need.  If you know Christ you already have the anchor.  Turn around and look for it--it's your hope in Him.  Verse 19 says that's the hope that takes us thru to the inner sanctuary behind the curtain and verse 20 says that's where our forerunner, Jesus, has entered on our behalf.  He's already gone ahead to intercede for us.  Pretty amazing, huh?  No need to worry or be afraid.  Just grab onto your anchor and hold on.

Oh yeah.  There's another word that I like the sound of.  You guessed it--it's HOPE. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that the Jesus is the anchor in our lives. It means that he alone can hold us still and never be swayed to the wrong path. Another thing is that if we anchor our fate in Him, we shall not perish but instead will have everlasting life.
- MantusAnchors.com