Friday, July 29, 2016

Correct Me If I'm Wrong

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and now my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. " Psalm 139:23

"Correct me if I'm wrong...."  Ever started a sentence with that phrase?  Usually we say that believing full well that what we are about to say is right.  Even committed christians aren't really anxious to be corrected and we have a hard time admitting that we might be wrong.

King David learned the hard way that avoiding correction is a dangerous plan.  He learned that pride, self sufficiency and stubbornness kept him far from the one who loved him most.  Ultimately, he let his past mistakes drive him into the arms of his Redeemer.  

Proverbs 29:1 says, "Whoever remains stiff-necked after many rebukes will suddenly be destroyed--without remedy."

I don't want to be stiff-necked.  I don't want to be deaf to His correction.  I can't afford that!

Perhaps one of the best prayers we can pray is simply "Lord correct me".  I'm not sure of very many things but one thing I do know without a doubt is that I am wrong--often.  I don't know everything.  I don't see everything I should.  Many times I am talking when I should be listening.   I need help - His help.

Lord correct me - today.

No comments: